Monday, December 15, 2008

Maternity Clothes

Has anyone else noticed that maternity clothes have gotten so much better looking in the last 5 years or so. I recently donated a long lost bag of maternity clothes and was surprised at the difference between clothes I wore for my first pregnancy, 14 years ago and the ones I wore 4 years ago. The ones from 1994 are just terrible. Toddler rompers in size jumbo, blue jean bib over all(in both shorts and in pants), and purple leggings with a green puffy shirt with huge shoulder pads. Did I really wear these? I must have looked like a melon in those tight purple leggings and green shirt, and I shudder at the thought of looking like a giant toddler in rompers. I thought I looked so cute. The ones from 4 years ago are much better. Cute flared jeans, flowing shirts, and beautiful dresses. The undies, unfortunately, were the same styles. If you've ever been pregnant, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Jumbo grandma panties, that can stretch from a size 4 to a size 14. And the bras, what more can be said about those monsters with the 4 hook clasps and shoulder straps wide enough to land a plane on. I still remember the first time I put on my new preggy undies. My sister was over and down stairs, waiting for me to change. I couldn't stop laughing, there was only 1 inch of space between the tops of the undies, and the bottom of the bra. My sister couldn't tell if I was laughing or crying. It was a kind of hysterical laughter that only a pregnant (or crazy) person can truly master. Don't get me wrong, they might have been ugly, but boy were they comfortable. I didn't want to give them up until I had to-yes they are that comfortable. Ahh, one of the many joys of pregnancy, up there with morning sickness and stretch marks.

2 comments:

Kyria said...

the clothes may be cuter but they they are less comfy. I had a hard time finding pants 18 mo ago that went over my tummy instead of the style that made them perch on the bottom edge of my prego belly & roll down hill all day long.
BTW yes you did look like a mellon- ya know if your shoulder pads are big enough no one notices your huge tummy...
You also had big hair then too.
sorry

Folkgirl said...

Amen to that, Kyria. I want to know who thought that the under the belly ones would work. My sister-in-law loves them. I cursed the single pair I had.

Oh yeah - amen to the fact that she had big hair. I've seen pictures :)