Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Goonie Boots

When I was 6 years old, my mom made me some special slippers. They were made from shaggy brown fake fur, and came up to my knees. Remember Alice the Goon from Popeye? "I luv Popeye, I luv Popeye." (Back when there were only 2 cartoons on to watch after school-Popeye and Tom and Jerry. For some strange reason I liked Popeye.) Anyway, back to the slippers. My Christmas gift that year was some home-made slippers that were more like the furry version of mukluks that you some times see on the worse outfit page of People Magazine. They were brown shaggy furry slippers that came up to my knees and we called them goonie boots (named after Alice the Goons feet) I loved those "goonie boots." They were so warm in fact that I'd get sweaty feet, and instead of taking off the slippers, I'd take off clothes. I was a tall and scrawny 6 year old, all knobby knees and wild tangled hair, running around in only my Wonder Woman under-roos and my goonie boots. I was all, "Lord of the Flies" back then.
I wonder what happened to them, my beloved goonie boots?

2 comments:

Kyria said...

i bet they got stinky & tossed-or remember the rabbit we had for a bit? didn't he have a thing for fake fur....

Twila said...

my goonie boots had claws...fake ones, of course, heeheehee