Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Gravity Works

Gravity does work, and I have the mess to prove it. My teen son feels the need to test the laws of science, over and over again. He loves to swing full buckets over his head in an arc, in the house, with the added, “Look Mom, it won’t spill!” Never mind the nervous stutter as I try to get him to stop, stumbling over my words in an attempt not to swear at him, “Um…oh…geeze…please…um...don’t…it’ll...um…make…mess…over...um...my…furniture”
The latest test tried (and failed, I might add) was to juggle an open, full gallon of chocolate milk. I’m still not sure what he was trying to do exactly, if just making a huge mess was it, well, mission accomplished! I think he was practicing a one handed juggle between the kitchen and dining room. The full open gallon of chocolate milk dropped and split open, dumping most of the milk all over my antique wool Oriental rug, and wood chairs, and kitchen cupboard, counter and floor. From the living room all I heard was a tell tale SPLAT, GURGLE, and an “Ops!” I rushed into the kitchen to see my teen rushing to save the rest of the chocolate milk, (screw the expensive rug that was Great Grandmas) and my husband just standing there, grinning. Did he think this was funny? Yes, and he was having a hard time not laughing. I guess I was the only one worried about the rug. Superwoman that I am, I saved the rest of the chocolate milk, and got towels down on the mess to save the rug.
To my teenager’s credit, he did mop, without too much complaining. I kept adding, “you missed some over here, a little further, a little further, a little further.” After a while, my son caught on to that little game, and said, “Um, Mom, I’m sure I didn’t spill this far from the kitchen. I think the floor is clean now.”
My kitchen and dining room floors are now cleaner, and I hope an important science and physics lesson has been learned. Gravity does work.

No comments: