Monday, January 5, 2009

Sweet Relief

I owe you an extra of story, I was out of town for a couple of days-not just lazy (OK, I am lazy, but I have a good excuse this time)

“Relief”

R-o-l-a-i-d-s may spell relief to millions but to me, relief was the sweet feeling of finishing delivering my son. I was so scared about my impending Delivery. It was on my mind a lot during last three months of my pregnancy. I had heard every horror story imaginable. I still don’t know why some people felt the need to terrify me with their stories of pain, day long labors and even death. I was already aware of what could go wrong, I had seen the same sad movies. The stories had left me feeling scared and unsure. I doubted that I could handle the pain that women wore like a badge of honor. The other experienced mom’s loved to go into every gory, horrible, painful detail about their deliveries. Was it really that bad? I could only imagine it was. Fear was an understatement, sheer terror was a better description.
The dreaded day arrived like any other, only wetter. My water broke, or maybe I had finally lost all bladder control. We arrived at the hospital, and then…nothing happened. And nothing happened for six more hours.
“We’ll have to induce you” was the phrase that I had heard was to be avoided at all cost. But by the time it was said to me, I was all for it. Any idea at all to get this thing rolling was fine by me. Four hours into my contractions, I lost all sense of composure. I wanted drugs, a lot of
drugs and I wanted them now.When my Doctor asked if a medical school class of “only” fifteen could watch my delivery I said, “Sure, bring them in, the more the merrier” By this time I was medicated and so out of it and would have been open to having my father-in-law and my first boyfriend there too. If I had been more able, I might have had a few choice things to say to the suggestion of fifteen twenty five year olds staring at my goodies . With all my moaning and grunting, my poor husband was perfectly useless. He had lost his mind and was completely freaked out.
While God, my husband, my doctor, and fifteen perfect strangers looked on I gave birth to my son. As they all marveled at the new life before us , all I could think of was, “I’m done, I did it!” Such sweet relief it was.

2 comments:

Folkgirl said...

LOL! I had one student in with us - this guy that shared my birthday...and I thought that was a bit weird. It's amazing how you just don't really care about anything except getting the damn kid out!

Did Matt watch with his mouth gaping open like Dave did with Henry? I had Kellie come along for Johnny's birth so that she could throw things in his mouth if he did it again.

momofcrazykids said...

Matt didn't stare with his mouth open, he just kept rubbing my hand and mumbling the mantra of: "It's ok, ok, ok, good job" I did want to push his hand away, but I hasn't sure I could stop there, a foot to his face might have been next.
What would Kellie have thrown? Some Cheerios or a shoe?