Sunday, January 25, 2009

How Far Is 5.8K?


Mora had its annual Lanternloppett last night, and Max & I decided that it sounded like fun. Night cross-country skiing by lantern light, that could be fun and somewhat romantic. We don’t get out with out the kids often enough. We had a plan, after dinner, we loaded up my van with our cross-country skies, poles, and various cold weather gear. Off to Mora we went. I was nervous; I haven’t cross-country skied in years, 16 years to be exact.
The dark 5.8K trail was lit by lanterns; there were four cabins along the route, complete with food and bonfires. There were maybe 100 people out skiing, and the cabins were jam packed with people eating, drinking and laughing. We went past the first cabin, but stopped at the second. The cabin was filled with welcoming Swedes in turtlenecks and itchy wool sweaters. They offered us hot cider and food. There were so many different types of food available: crock-pots filled with food that smelled delicious, cheese, crackers, cookies, and firewater. Everyone was so nice; they said we could come back any time and use the trails. It was comforting to see so many friendly Scandnavians in one place.
As we headed back out onto the trails, I couldn't’t help but notice that we kept being passed up. I felt bad enough being passed up by a guy and his 10 year old son, but geeze, did I just get passed up by a couple of spry 70 year olds? Luckly no one shouted, "Eat my dust!" as they raced past.
Was I bending by knees enough, or too much? I told myself that maybe I’m just really out of practice, and not out of shape. After all, I'm the one who takes the dog out on daily 2 mile walks, and exercises on a regular bases. It did make be feel a whole lot better when I saw the cabin we started at, “Oh yeah, we’re done!” Was the mantra I kept repeating in my head. Wow, I really felt the last ½ of the trail. It was fun, and I will do it again, but I really need to get more practice in. How far is 5.8K anyway? I did have to look it up, it's 3.603953 miles, by the way.
We did the whole 5.8K, and I have the blisters to prove it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like a ton of fun! We should go skiing some time. If nothing else it would give you the opportunity to pass someone else. I'm not what you would call good at it.

momofcrazykids said...

That would be fun, I now know where there are miles of trails...and it would so help my damaged ego.