Monday, February 2, 2009

Turning The Big 4-0

The big 4-0 is looming over my head this year. I've been thinking about it, a lot, and I guess I have these thoughts to share. Please feel free to add your own best of or worst of.
The good things about being 40:
This is the healthiest and best I've ever felt.
Being older and wiser.
I was an idiot at 20, and I'm glad things turned out well in spite of that.
Having a great hubby, who I've been with for 22 amazing fun filled years.
Having 4 healthy, smart, funny, and kind children who make me laugh every day.
I'm in really good shape, and having to work at it makes me appreciate it all the more.
I finally don’t give a shit what other people think.
My hair is starting to lose it’s curl (always wanted straight hair.)
I appreciate all small kindnesses, and I'm more grateful for everything I've been blessed with.
I don’t have keep up with the latest fashions.
I eat what’s good for me, and learn to like it.
I'm a great cook, I wasn't always.
I can afford to have life insurance.
Not getting carded.
Enjoying how exercise makes me feel.
Finally getting alone time, and not feeling guilty about enjoying it.
Seeing how great my kids are turning out and being proud of them.
Finally having a new vehicle (I love my minivan.)
Being older and wiser enough to see the bigger picture, in everything.
Being old enough to see patterns in mine and others lives (for good and bad.)
Remembering how wild I once was, and not needed to do that again.
Getting away with more things (I look forward to being able to get away with more, as in “Never mind Grandma, just pretend that her underwear are under her clothes.” Oh yeah, I‘ll embarrass the kids.)
I don’t have to keep up with the “Jones” and I know that I don’t need the latest gadgets.
I've gotten to be a really interesting person with a lot to give.
I see that when I help others, it really does matter.
Knowing how lucky and blessed I am.
I finally don't give a shit what other people think (so great I had to repeat this one.)
The bad things about being 40:
Saggy parts ( I won’t give a specific list.)
Parts that stop working( so far so good on this one.)
Wrinkles (I did earn every one of them.)
Not getting carded.
Low rise jeans (they shouldn't be worn by anyone over 20, and I‘m bitter about when they became fashionable, I would have looked so good in them-before the babies, that is.)
Hearing your favorite songs on the oldies station.
That POS car that you bought for $400.00 when you were 18, that same Muscle car now costs $45,000.
Boy, the negative list is shorter then the positive list. I have so much to be grateful for, and I’m smart enough to realize that.

No comments: