Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Body In The Field

Here's a short youth fiction story that I've been thinking about lately. It happens in a small town in MN. I'm already thinking (kinda obsessing) about the characters, and what they are like and what happens to them because of this murder.
“The Body in the Field” Chapter 1

“Well, what do you think?” Kaitlyn asked as she admired her long tan legs and wiggled her pink toes in the hot sand.
“I like the peach polish you wore last week; it showed off your tan better. Can we get going now? I‘m hot and I want to be home before my Soap starts.” Sophie answered.
“Yeah, we’ll go soon. Are you coming to look at…?” Kaitlyn looked around to be sure none of the other people at the beach could hear them, “the body with Jake and me tonight?”
Sophie was instantly sick to her stomach at the mention of the dead body everyone was talking about, and sick at the idea of being in a car with Jake. He made her nervous and she couldn't put her finger on why. She tried to think of a quick lie to get out of going.
“I can’t. I have to babysit for my neighbor tonight.”
Kaitlyn was upset and it showed. “I think you’re just scared, big baby. Jake said I shouldn't tell you about it, that you’re not cool enough. Maybe he was right. Don’t you want to see a real dead body? I bet it’s really gross.”
“How did Jake find out about it anyway? You don’t think he had something to do with how it got there, do you?” Sophie couldn't shake the feeling that Kaitlyn’s boyfriend was dangerous. He was a senior, two years older then them and already had a wild reputation.
“Get real! Jake’s the hottest guy in school. He’s not a killer or anything. You’re just jealous that I’m dating him and you don‘t have a boyfriend at all.”
That wasn’t it, Sophie wasn’t sure about Jake. She didn’t trust him. She definitely didn’t want to see him or the dead body he wanted to show her friend Kaitlyn. Maybe she should she just go and see it, it probably wasn’t even real. Kaitlyn was always playing tricks on her. What if it was real, should she tell her mom? Her mom already didn’t like Kaitlyn, and this would be the last straw. It had been a wild summer hanging around her new friend. They’d gotten in some trouble and her mom had to pick her up at the sheriff department once already. Sophie didn’t want to be grounded away from Kaitlyn or Kaitlyn’s car. She’d have to ride the bus to school her senior year, what a loser that would make her. If it was real, maybe she would call the cops and tell them about the body in the field behind Jake’s house. But they might think she had something to do with it, besides she didn’t want to spend the last day of summer in the Sheriffs office, her mom would killer her. Maybe she should just go and see the body before she freaked out, it probably was a trick.
“Hello, Earth to Sophie. Daydream much? Well, do you think you can get out of babysitting? Or maybe we could go before? Should I pick you up at five? I promise to have you home by seven.”
Sophie relented, “Well, OK. I guess I could go before if it won‘t take too long.” Kaitlyn was so excited that she knocked over her pop; it spilled it all over Sophie’s new MP3 player. The spilled pop was an omen, a sign of things to come.

No comments: