Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mini-Lion Tamer

I have a great dog story to share, well I actually have many. But I'll pick just one for today. We had a huge German Shepherd named Ceberus. He was really wild, but oh so smart. If he had thumbs we would have been in trouble--that's how smart he was. Ceberus used to sleep on the floor by the foot of my bed. Leif, who was 3 years old at the time, used to use the dog as a step stool to climb up into our bed. Early one morning Leif stepped on Ceberus as usual to climb up into our bed. I woke to a noise like I had never heard before, nor heard since. Leif was standing on the dogs testicles. The poor dog was yodeling and moaning. Before I could lean over and lift Leif up onto the bed and off the dog, Ceberus picked the toddler up, gently, by the head and set him back down. The image of my young sons head in the 130 lbs dogs mouth is something I still haven't forgotten. My toddler, the lion tamer. Both dog and boy were shaken up and sore, but OK. Leif still has the small scars on either side of his head from the dogs huge teeth.

No comments: