Monday, June 29, 2009

A Parents Small Sacrifices

When you’re a parent you make small sacrifices all the time. One example is new underwear. If you’re a parent with young kids, go take a look in your underwear drawer. Go on, I’ll wait…your undies are old with the elastic stretched and shot, aren’t they? I knew it, so are mine and every other parent I know.
Parents wait until they have no other option but to buy new skivies. Parents wait until the elastic is shot and sticking out, the underwires poking out, and the socks become ill-fitting quitters. There is always something higher on the priority list then new drawers, socks or bras.
I feel guilty if a pick up a pack of new Haines for myself. Do I really need new socks now? I can wait one more week. So my toe pokes out a small hole and the socks slip down around my ankles and into my shoes during the day. All I have to do is stop everything, bend over and pull them back up. Does it really bother me that much? So the underwires of my bra slide out in the washer, if I push them back in and use a little duck tape, or sew them back in every time the bra comes out of the washer, they stay put. That’s not a big deal, is it? One more week and I can buy a new bra, the wait won’t kill me. The kids really could use new socks before me. So my undies have no elastic left in the waist band and sag a little, my jeans will keep them in place just fine. I can wait one more week before I buy new ones. Next time underwear goes on sale THEN I’ll buy new ones. For the cost of a pack of socks I can buy a gallon of milk and a box a cereal, I can wait until next week. How many times do you say the same thing to yourself when standing in the front of the Haines display of Wal-mart or Target?
Not much in life feels as nice as new snug socks, a comfy bra and undies that stay where they are suppose to. Tossing all the old ones will feel good, maybe next week…

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

What I want to know is, how do you know that other parents have raggedy old underwear? Do you snoop in drawers (Har, har!) when nobody is looking, or do you just go around asking? I need to know this before I let you in my house again.

momofcrazykids said...

Well, was I right, are they old and raggedy?

Unknown said...

Well, some are. I do have a hard time throwing the old ones out. But every year for Christmas my in-law's dead dog gets me (and the rest of the family) new socks and underwear. (True story)

So yes, I very rarely buy underwear for myself.

And you still didn't answer my question...

momofcrazykids said...

The dead dog buys you underwear? I don't know what to say about that...

Unknown said...

It's awkward for all of us.