Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Um, Can I Get Those Back?

Years ago, when Oscar was eighteen months old, I caught him snooping in my jewelry box. He found an old glass beaded necklace that was my great grandmothers. The string was ratty and broke when he stretched it. For some unknown reason Oscar shoved the loose pink glass beads up his nose. I tried and tried, but I couldn't retrieve them. Off to urgent care we went. The doctor pulled out two beads from each nostril. The beads went into a small dish and the doctor was going to throw the dish away, beads and all.
“Um, can I get those back?” I asked the doctor. He turned and gave me a look that was priceless. “You really want them back?”
“They’re antique beads from an old necklace that was my great grandmothers. I’ll clean them up myself. Thanks for getting them out. And can you check his ears for beads too?”
Sure enough, more beads were found in his ears. My necklace was still short three more beads. I would clean up beads from his nose and ears, but I drew the line at looking in his diaper.

No comments: