Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Crank Up The Radio

I have a theory: you can tell the age of a parent by what songs the kids sing. I was a young adult during the 1990’s— when grunge rock ruled. My hubby, Max liked the harder rock. As teen, we both loved punk. These music choices are mirrored in what our kids love. For example, Tom, my six year old, sings songs from Nirvana. ‘Heart Shaped Box’ is his favorite. There is something adorable hearing a six-year-old singing, “Hey, wait, I gotta new complaint.”
Oscar, my ten year, old likes Black Sabbath. He loves anything from the Paranoid album, and cranks up the radio when ‘Iron Man’ comes on. When Leif was the same age, he also loved them and the first CD he bought with his own money was Black Sabbath’s Paranoid. I was so proud; Leif loved classic rock (and not rap.) I bragged to family members, “My boy just bought his first Black Sabbath CD. He knows good music when he hears it!” My Brother-in-law Chuck quickly brought me back down to Earth when he said, “Ahh, Black Sabbath, the first step to a 12 step program.”
Leif has moved on from classic rock to scary stuff. Slip Knot and other creepy bands are now his favorites. I can’t complain too much. I blasted some pretty interesting music when I was his age. Compared to Leather Nun and The Sex Pistols, Slip Knot is tame.

2 comments:

Robb said...

I seem to remember downloading and burning a "Backstreet Boys" CD for Leif a few years ago...

momofcrazykids said...

Oh yeah...He did love "Who let the dogs out" too. Well I guess there is no accounting for some peoples tastes.