Monday, July 20, 2009

It's Not A Midlife Crisis!?

I went to see Cirque Du Soleil Kooza. It was amazing; I was completely captivated by the performers. I couldn’t take my eyes off them. How do they make their bodies do those tricks? I now know what I want to be when I grow up [drum roll please]…I want to be an acrobat.
I know what you’re thinking, must be a midlife crisis thing. Well, it’s not; at least I don’t think it is. It’s good to try new things, right? Every year I try something new, just add this to the long list of other weird things I’ve tried or done in the last few years. There were Cello lessons, I joined several writing critique groups, a fencing class, painting and writing workshops, white water rafting trips, winter camping in Ely, the numerous committees I’ve joined and the grant application I'm working on for a local wrtiting group. Just add circus acrobat to the long list of things I’m curious about, [in my Oprah-like voice over] I believe it’s important to challenge oneself and to dream big.
There are a few obstacles to my ambitious acrobat dream. Being almost 40 is one of them. Maybe I should have started working on the gymnastics thing say, 35 years ago? I can do a fine somersault, and almost a headstand ( note to self: work on my interpretive dance routines also). Another problem is being 5’5”. My height is far from statuesque, but still a foot too tall. The acrobats were tiny and buff, me not so much.
Besides the obvious problems of my age and height, there is a bigger obstacle— I’m afraid of heights. This one could be a problem. Watching the performers walk a tight rope and jump from trapeze to trapeze midair left me breathless with sweaty palms and reminded me that I freeze when it comes to heights. Unlike my age and height, this obstacle is one I can do something about, maybe I’ll look into trapeze lessons. I’m sure I’ve seen something on them on TV, or read about them somewhere. I should look into this, conquering my fear would be good for me. Trapeze lessons sound (painful, insane, midlife crisis like) very enjoyable.

No comments: