Monday, August 17, 2009

Lordy, Lordy Look Who's 40!

The big 4-0 is looming over my head this month. I pulled this essay from an older post and re-edited it, so if it sounds familiar, you’re right, it is a repeat. I've been thinking (obsessing might be a better word) about getting older, and I guess I have some thoughts to share. Please feel free to add your comments about the best and worst things about being older.
Good things about being 40:
This is the healthiest and best I have ever felt.
Being older and wiser.
I was an idiot at 20, and I'm glad things turned out well in spite of that.
Having a great hubby, who I've been with for 22 amazing fun filled years (love ya babe).
Having four healthy, smart, funny, and kind children who make me laugh every single day.
I'm in really good shape, and having to work at it makes me appreciate it even more.
I finally don’t give a shit what other people think.
My hair has started to lose its curl (I always wanted straighter hair anyway).
I appreciate all small kindnesses, and I'm grateful for everything I've been blessed with.
I eat what’s good for me, and have learnt to like veggies.
I'm a great cook, I wasn't always (the mac and cheese years still haunt my hubby).
I can afford to have life insurance (this ones helps me sleep at night).
Not being carded at the liquor store.
Enjoying how exercise makes me feel.
Finally getting alone time, and not feeling guilty about enjoying it.
Seeing how great my kids are turning out and being proud of them.
Finally having a new vehicle (I love my minivan).
Being older and wiser enough to see the bigger picture, in everything.
Being old enough to see patterns in mine and others lives (for good and bad).
Remembering how wild I once was, and not needing to do that again (I can’t believe I survived my youth).
Getting away with more odd behavior (I look forward to being the type of old lady who does weird things like getting hot pink hair extensions braided into my hair and wearing my undies on the outside of my clothes. “Never mind Grandma, just pretend that her underwear are under her clothes.” Oh yeah, I can’t wait to embarrass the kids. I’m so going to be the “when I get old, I’ll wear purple” kind of old lady).
I don’t have to keep up with the “Jones” and I know that I don’t need the latest gadgets.
I've gotten to be a really interesting person with a lot to give.
Knowing how lucky and blessed I truly am.
I finally don't give a shit what other people think (so great I had to repeat this one).
Bad things about being 40:
Saggy parts (I won’t give a sad specific list).
Parts that stop working (so far so good on this one).
Wrinkles (I earned most of them laughing and smiling).
Not being carded at the liquor store.
Hearing my favorite songs from high school on the oldies station.
The negative list is much shorter then the positive list. I have so much to be grateful for, and I’m smart enough to realize that.

No comments: